At Sun Hill Junior School, we believe that personal, social, health and citizenship education (PSHCE), enables children to become healthy, independent and responsible members of society. We attempt to provide children with the tools to understand how they are developing personally and socially and whilst doing so allow them to be able to successfully tackle many of the moral, social and cultural issues that are part of growing up. We aim to focus on well-being to enable children and young people to embrace change, feel positive about themselves and enjoy healthy, safe, responsible and fulfilled lives. In terms of economic well-being and financial capability, we aim to teach young people to develop as questioning and informed consumers and learn to manage their money and finances effectively.
We want our children to be confident, self-motivated individuals who understand their rights and responsibilities within a diverse multi-cultural society.
Through PSHCE at school, we aim for all learners to:
- Know and understand what constitutes a healthy lifestyle (in line with the National Healthy Schools guidance)
- Be aware of safety issues
- Understand what makes a good relationship with others
- Have respect for other people
- Be independent and responsible members of the school community, demonstrating behaviours adopted in our school values
- Develop self-confidence and self-esteem and make informed choices regarding personal and social issues
- Develop good relationships with other members of the school and the wider community
- Gain the knowledge, skills and understanding to play an effective role in public life
- Learn about their rights, responsibilities, duties and freedoms and about laws, justice and democracy
- Play an active role in the life of their schools, neighbourhoods, communities and wider society as active citizens
- Equip children and young people to engage critically with and explore diverse ideas, beliefs, cultures and identities and the values we share as citizens in the UK.
Get involved with making your own healthy packed lunch.
Design a fire escape route for your house.
Join an after school club to meet new people and learn new skills.
Create a road safety poster.